Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Dave Backus

Dave Backus has passed away. Dave was the Heinz Riehl Professor in the Stern School at NYU, and had previous positions at Queen's University, UBC, and the Minneapolis Fed. Dave leaves behind a solid body of work in macroeconomics, and many sad colleagues, students, friends, and family. Dave and I crossed paths in Kingston Ontario, Minneapolis, and on the editorial board of the JME. He was always straightforward, helpful, a dedicated scientist, and one of our honourary Canadians. Dave is interviewed here.

2 comments:

  1. Steve and David,

    Dave was the external examiner at my dissertation defense. We've had only few interactions over the last 20 years, but he would write once in a while to inquire and ask about my work. He was always so encouraging and supportive. What a great man.

    This has been a difficult year. In the last 12 months, I've lost to of my mentors: Rick Green at CMU and now Dave. I'm going out for a run.

    ReplyDelete